Back in the days, we all know that electronic drum sets suck. Professionals drummers did not see them as a serious alternative over drums, and instead, treated them as a toy. But nowadays, the best electronic drum sets will let them take those words back.
In fact, the revolution of the electronic drums is so fast that they can already compete with the real thing. Specifically, the innovation poured on this instrument allowed to generate sounds that are indistinguishable from your traditional drums.
Because of this, we see a lot of musicians that are using electronic drums on live performances. Of course, it is not surprising anymore if you can see this instrument on most recording studios.
Fortunately, there is no need for you to become a seasoned drummer before you can get a great electronic drum set. The music market today offers of options for you to choose from. But in this article, we only listed the products that are on the top of the heap! Check each of them and see which one can suit your preferences!
Top 10 Best Electronic Drum Sets
Before we go to their individual reviews, let us discuss first the basics of an electronic drum set. Through this guide, you will be able to save yourself from picking a bad product!
Best Electronic Drum Sets: Top 10 Review
If you are looking for a drum set that can fit for professional applications, then the Yamaha DTX532K Electronic Drum Set is an excellent choice. It is using a DTX502 module that comes with 700 realistic drum sounds.
It also uses an authentic hi-hat system so that you can get a "good" feel when playing this instrument. Moreover, this drum set has a 3-trigger zone snare which offers more versatility than those units that are only using dual triggers.
- Gives a nuanced and natural playing experience.
- Cymbals and snare operates under 3-trigger mechanism.
- Ideal for professional usage.
- Uses a real hi-hat system.
- Almost half cheaper compared to its competitors.
- It is a bulky drum set.
- It doesn't include a bass pedal.
When it comes to premium quality, the Roland TD-11K-S V-Compact Series is a top choice. This one can produce highly realistic drum sounds, thanks to its TD-11 Drum Sound Module. Moreover, its kick pad feels really natural. It is like you are playing real drums with this one! We can also say that the hi-hat of this electronic drum set is pretty compact and ergonomic as well!
- It comes with a custom stand.
- It is lightweight.
- The pads and snare are very responsive.
- You can re-calibrate and adjust this drum set.
- Easy setup and installation process.
- There is no diversity in the sound of the cymbals.
- It doesn't have a bass kick.
There are a lot of good points that you can attribute to the Alesis Nitro Kit. For example, it comes with comfortable and dynamic pads. The said component allows you to get an excellent feel for this device.
Moreover, the pads are ultra responsive as well, thanks to its rubber construction! You won't really get wrong as long you keep on hitting on this drum set!
- User-friendly design.
- Comes with 8 inches high drum pads.
- It has a bass drum pedal and kick pad tower.
- The cymbals of this electronic drum gives you versatility in playing.
- Mounting racks secures every structure of the drums.
- The hi-hat pedal is somehow wobbly and noticeably light.
- Ideal for amateur applications only.
This all-in-one system is an excellent choice for beginners who want a compact instrument to play. Specifically, it has a table top design, which allows you to use without a mount. Despite it size, this drum set has still a huge sound library. It also has a recording feature as well.
You can make your own music through this machine, thanks to its USB compatibility. The 1/4-inch headphone jack of this drum set will let you play with it without bothering other people.
- It has integrated metronome.
- Comes with a drum trainer feature.
- Drumsticks and foot pedals are part of the package.
- Compact and portable design (battery-powered drum set).
- Compatible with Mac and Windows computers.
- The snare drum has a slight tendency to miss a beat.
- The cord length is somehow too short.
Another compact electronic drum set that you should pay attention is the Alesis CompactKit 7. The reason why it has a "7" in its name is due to its seven velocity-sensitive drum pads.
Moreover, it has two pedals as well that contributes to the realism of its performance. Since it is a compact drum set, we can understand that it only comes with 45 drum kit presets. However, it has over 100 built-in songs to compensate for such shortcomings!
- It has integrated metronome.
- Self-recording capabilities.
- Drum pads have seven velocity-sensitive settings.
- It can go wireless, thanks to its batteries.
- USB-MIDI connectivity options.
- It is too small for some other players.
- You need an amp to enjoy the sound it produces fully.
The Pyle-Pro PTED01 Electronic Table Digital Drum Kit is a versatile set. The manufacturer of this instrument gave enough capabilities to it for it to sound like a real drum. Of course, this should impress you because this drum set has a compact size! Therefore, you have the freedom to carry it anywhere you want!
This device also has an LCD screen and set of controls so that you can control and customize the sound that you are playing!
- Compatible with Windows or Mac computers.
- There is no need for tedious setup.
- Comes with song drum kits and song presets from various genre.
- It has recording capabilities.
- You can go wireless, thanks to its built-in C-size batteries.
- Drum pads are too close to each other.
- The pedals are too quirky.
Yamaha is a giant in the music industry. All the products they produce are simply elegant but powerful. Even their drumsets imbibe a premium feel. Specifically, it is the Yamaha DTX400K signifies the quality of this brand. This particular drum set comes with a trigger module for unleashing rich and realistic sounds.
There are also ten drum sets that you can access on this compact device (e.g. oak custom, marching, maple custom, and jazz). The kit also includes professional JVC stereo headphones and a pair of drumsticks.
- Perfect for beginners.
- Compact and portable design.
- Comes with training and practice features (Voice Guidance system).
- Highly responsive drum pads.
- Versatile and customizable.
- The bass drum has a low volume
- It cannot do rim clicking on its snare
The Alesis DM6 Nitro Kit is a standard-size drum set that can cater various musical applications. Specifically, it has better drum pads compared to the previous DM6 models. Therefore, you can really expect the genuine quality of this set. Furthermore, it has integrated tutorial features for those who are new to this device!
- Sound recording feature is available (USB MIDI connection).
- Comes with connectivity options for mobile devices and computers.
- It has a headphone jack so that you can play with it silently.
- You can connect it to an amplifier of PA system.
- All necessary components are present (dual-zone snares, drum pads, kick pad tower, etc.)
- You cannot install additional a bass pedal to it
- The drums tend to miss sometimes
We can never have this list completed without the Behringer XD8USB. This eight-piece drum set can sound like a real drum set, thanks to its HDS11OUSB sound module. It comes with ten presets and another five drum settings that you can configure.
Since it has a USB port, you can connect the Behringer XD8USB to any computers and mobile devices. Furthermore, it features a High Definition Sampling, which makes its performance consistent and highly realistic.
- Can generate authentic drum sounds.
- Easy to assemble (comes with all the necessary mounting hardware).
- Sturdy and stable design.
- Compatible with PA systems.
- It has a headphone jack.
- The hi-hat is not pressure-sensitive.
- You can encounter some volume issues with this drum set.
The Alesis DM10 is a drum set that is well-suited for both practice sessions and live performances. We can say that it deserves a "professional" status because of its intuitive design and highly realistic performance.
Moreover, it has over a thousand sound presets of various genres, which can help you explore your musical finesse. You can also re-assign these sounds for more playing versatility. Meanwhile, it is notable that the sound library of the Alesis DM10 is expendable, thanks to its USB/ MIDI outputs.
- Enormous sound library (all in high-definition).
- You can edit and expand the sounds with external modules and audio software.
- The kick pads and snare are using mylar heads for authenticity and responsiveness.
- Comes with professional-grade RealHead pads.
- The sound it produces is articulate and dynamic.
- You have to buy the kick pedal separately.
- The pads do not really rebound like a real drum.
Electronic Drum Set Buying Guide
We all know that an electronic drum is a replica of those traditional full-size drum sets. Initially, you can assume that they won't sound the same. After all, they don't possess the similar parts. However, thanks to technology, this issue was gradually solved.
How Electronic Drum Sets Work?
Most of the electronic drums today are using sampling and modules to mimic the authentic drum sounds effectively. Without these features, an electronic drum would sound too flavored and artificial.
Of course, you have to take account the responsiveness of the drum pads. Therefore, you have to pay attention to its "brain" or central electronic unit. This is the core where the all the triggers of the drums connect. The latter is a form of sensor that detects any strikes and translates it to the corresponding sound that it should produce.
The mesh heads and the pads are using a single trigger. Therefore, they can only make a single sound, regardless where you strike them. Meanwhile, a dual trigger can produce a nuanced sound, depending on where your strike landed.
The interaction between the brain and the trigger must be fast and efficient. Otherwise, the drum set wouldn't be responsive and sensitive enough to cater your needs. Fortunately, most of the systems today can do this in a prompt manner.
Mesh Heads or Rubber?
The pads of an electronic drum have inner covers. The latter specifically affects the overall sounding of the drum. Currently, the covers are in the form of mesh heads or rubber. When it comes to price, rubber pads are less inexpensive that mesh heads.
They are also compact and provides enough consistency, regardless of the size of the pad. Their rebound is something that you would love as well.
On the other hand, mesh heads is a modern update for electronic drum sets. They offer more realistic sound than rubbers. Moreover, they possess extreme sensitivity, thanks to their dual triggers. Moreover, you can configure a mesh head so that you can adjust its rebound. The only downside of this cover is its costs. Specifically, it is an expensive material.
The electronic won't be able to produce any sound if it doesn't have built-in speakers. If the speakers are not present, then you have to connect it to an external amplifier. At this point, you should know that the amplifiers for every drum set model are different. Manufacturers create amplifiers that would match their product alone. We call them as the monitor system.
Most of the monitor systems have a wedge design. Usually, you can locate them underneath the drum kit. This particular placement enables the users to hear the sounds better.
These are some of the essential things that you should learn about electronic drum sets. Familiarizing them would give you a total advantage rather than shopping blindly! Of course, we have listed several products that could satisfy those criteria. Here are they:
The products that we featured here the candidates for the best electronic drum set. As you can see, they have unique features that could certainly improve your playing skills. By investing in any of these drum kits, you will be able to play your favorite beat and rhythm in the pace and degree that favors you.
However, we still have to say that the Yamaha DTX532K is currently sitting on the throne. It is not just because it is a professional electronic drum set. Instead, it is because of its vast sound library, responsiveness, and sound authenticity. With this one, you will be able to take your drumming endeavors to the next level!
Did you like this article? Which of these electronic drum sets do you want to have? Tell us your answers in the comment section below!