100 Of The Best Fingerstyle Guitar Songs
If you are a practicing guitarist, you ought to know the best fingerstyle guitar songs. Otherwise, the dexterity of your fingers won't improve.
Fingerstyle is a playing technique in where you "harmonize" your thumb with the fingers to pluck the guitar's strings. Therefore, it is the plucking style that you are familiar with.
The general form of fingerpicking is the usage of first, second, and third fingers. Specifically, they should hit the E string, as well as the G and B.
You will be able to play complex note arrangements. Moreover, your ears will get mesmerized by the warm sound that plucking provides.
Later, you will realize that can be able to pluck non-adjoining strings, which is impossible if you continue to rely on picks.
These are some of the reasons why fingerpicking is a must-learn guitar technique. Of course, this task would be difficult if you do not have some guide.
Fingerpicking is easy once you start learning songs that have heavy plucking compositions. There are a lot of pieces from a different genre that you can emulate.
However, in this article, we will be listing some of the best fingerstyle guitar songs to practice. Here are they!
100 Of The Best Fingerstyle Guitar Songs
1. Deep River Blues - Artist: Doc Watson
2. Love is All - Artist: The Tallest Man
3. Jenny Wren - Artist: Paul McCartney
4. Benighted - Artist: Opeth
5. Closer to the Sun - Artist: Slightly Stoopid
6. These Days - Artist: Nico
7. Bouree in E minor - Artist: Johann Sebastian
8. Walk Away - Artist: Ben Harper
9. Stairway to Heaven - Artist: Led Zeppelin
10. May You Never - Artist: John Martyn
11. Heartbeats - Artist: Jose Gonzalez
12. Jolene - Artist: Dolly Parton
13. Neon - Artist: John Mayer
14. From the Morning - Artist: Nick Drake
15. Death with Dignity - Artist: Sufjan Stevens
16. Sunflower River Blues - Artist: John Fahey
17. We're Going to be Friends - Artist: The White Strip
18. Angeles - Artist: Elliott Smith
19. Landslide - Artist: Fleetwood Mac
20. Never Going Back Again - Artist: Fleetwood Mac
21. Roundabout - Artist: Yes
22. Dear Prudence - Artist: The Beatles
23. April Come She Will - Artist: Simon and Garfunkel
24. If - Artist: Bread
25. Little Martha - Artist: The Allman Brothers Band
26. Is There Anybody Out There? - Artist: Pink Floyd
27. Thirteen - Artist: Big Star
28. No Other Way - Artist: Jack Johnson
29. Sultan of Swing - Artist: Dire Straits
30. Solsbury Hill - Artist: Peter Gabriel
31. Shape Of My Heart - Artist: Sting
32. Heart of Life - Artist: John Mayer
33. Little Black Submarines - Artist: The Black Keys
34. Road Trippin' - Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
35. Bron-Yr-Aur - Artist: Led Zeppelin
36. Pretty Pimpin - Artist: Kurt Vile
37. Fast Car - Artist: Tracy Chapman
38. Naked As We Came - Artist: Iron and Wine
39. Ain't No Sunshine - Artist: Bill Withers
40. One Last Breath - Artist: Creed
41. Silent Lucidity - Artist: Queensryche
42. Time In A Bottle - Artist: Jim Croce
43. Stop This Train - Artist: John Mayer
44. Helplessly Hoping - Artist: Crosby, Stills, And Nash
45. Anji - Artist: Simon and Garfunkel
46. Guaranteed - Artist: Eddie Vedder
47. Shower The People - Artist: James Taylor
48. Crazy On You - Artist: Heart
49. Don't Think Twice; It's Alright - Artist: Bob Dylan
50. Going To California - Artist: Led Zeppelin
51. Ghosting - Artist: Mother Mother
52. Tears In Heaven - Artist: Eric Clapton
53. More Than Words - Artist: Extreme
54. Let It Go - Artist: James Bay
55. Tenerife Sea - Artist: Ed Sheeran
56. Mister Sandman - Artist: Chet Atkins
57. Just Breathe - Artist: Pearl Jam
58. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You - Artist: Led Zeppelin
59. Nothing Else Matters - Artist: Metallica
60. Lewis and Clark - Artist: Tommy Emmanuel
61. Blackbird - Artist: The Beatles
62. Maggie May - Artist: Rod Stewart
63. Alter Bridge - Artist: Blackbird
64. Black Water - Artist: The Doobie Brothers
65. Homeward Bound - Artist: Simon and Garfunkel
66. Dust In The Wind - Artist: Kansas
67. Classical Gas - Artist: Mason Williams
68. Fire And Rain - Artist: James Taylor
69. Speak for Me - Artist: John Mayer
70. Hey Jude - Artist: Beatles
71. Angie - Artist: The Rolling Stones
72. Sunrise - Artist: Norah Jones
73. We Are The Champions - Artist: Queen
74. See You Again - Artist: Charlie Puth
75. Summertime - Artist: George Gershwin
76. Tears In The Rain - Artist: Joe Satriani
77. Stairway To Heaven - Artist: Led Zeppelin
78. Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay - Artist: Otis Redding
79. Can't Help Falling In Love - Artist: Elvis Presley
80. Eleanor Rigby - Artist: John Lennon and Paul McCartney
81. Cloud Atlas - Artist: Ending Theme Of The Movie "Cloud Atlas"
82. Every Breath You Take - Artist: Sting
83. Blowin' In The Wind - Artist: Bob Dylan
84. Canon In D - Artist: Pachelbel
85. Abide With Me - Artist: William Henry Monk
86. Ave Maria - Artist: Franz Schubert
87. Love Is Blue - Artist: Andrè Popp
88. Only You - Artist: Platters
89. Ode To Joy - Artist: Beethoven
90. Nothing Else Matters - Artist: Metallica
91. What A Wonderful World - Artist: Louis Armstrong
92. Safe And Sound - Artist: Taylor Swift
93. Sailing - Artist: Rod Stewart
94. Hotel California - Artist: Eagles
95. No Woman No Cry - Artist: Bob Marley
96. Moon River - Artist: Henry Mancini
97. Fragile - Artist: Sting
98. Isn't She Lovely - Artist: Stevie Wonder
99. The Sound Of Silence - Artist: Simon And Garfunkel
100. Autumn Leaves - Artist: Kosma
Where To Get The Tabs Of These Fingerpicking Songs
If you are still a beginner, figuring out the chords and tabs of these songs will be quite difficult. Of course, it would take your time just to master one or two of songs, even if there are guides present.
Therefore, you should accept the notion that learning fingerpicking is not as easy as it seems. Fortunately, there are a lot of tutorials you can find online.
The first site that you should resort to is the Guitar Pro. Unlike any sites, the ones found in Guitar Pro are playable tabs. Instead of static notes, you can hear the sound of each note and chord.
In this way, you will be able to have a good grasp of the overall composition of the song.For amateurs, we highly recommend this kind of tutorial.
Tips On Fingerpicking
As we mentioned earlier, learning the basics of fingerpicking will enhance your overall skills as a guitar player. For example, you can accompany your vocalist even if you are just alone. Moreover, it can also develop your versatility to various genres.
There are a lot of things that you can get just by learning to fingerpick. That's why many people are eager to grind their guitars all day just to master this playing technique.
Of course, there is no such thing as overnight success. Therefore, we will be giving you some tips to practice fingerstyle without committing umpteen mistakes.
Here are they:
Getting Into The Groove
It is true that playing the guitar is more of technical skill. However, it should not serve as a limit.
Do not ever think that you have to stick to the rigid standards just to achieve mastery. Instead, it will take a lot of courage for you to get out of those restrictions.
If you are learning a song, don't pay too much attention to the technical details. Specifically, you have to immerse yourself so that you can feel the soul of the guitar.
Be in the "zone" when practicing. In this way, you will be able to familiarize the sound by your fingers, not your head.
Taking It Slow
You can never get any progress if you rush things. This principle is not only applicable to guitars but every learning process out there. You know that there is higher risk in driving fast than driving moderate.
Obviously, learning the art of fingerstyle is not necessarily a life-and-death situation. Therefore, you don't have to stress yourself too much. Otherwise, you will just get agitated and frustrated.
Unless you are a musical prodigy, the road towards mastery is indeed long and arduous. Just take your time. Learn to appreciate the journey itself.
The Best For Others May Not Be The Best For You
Many beginners learned how to play the guitar by watching others. Because of the advent of technology, online tutorials such as in Youtube are quite proliferating these days.
As a result, anyone could just learn the basics of guitars without even hiring a music teacher. Well, this is not a bad thing at all.
However, as you progress, you will certainly realize that the best for them may not work for you. Because of this, you have to adapt to whatever techniques you are learning.
For example, find ways to make hard things easier for you. Also, always stop learning those methods that are virtually impossible to your current skills.
Fingerpicking is indeed a challenging playing technique in guitar. It requires the harmonious coordination of your fingers to hit those notes. We listed the best fingerpicking guitar songs so that they can serve as your practicing grounds.
Sooner or later, you will be able to master these songs without even breaking a sweat. Just keep practicing!
Did you learn from this article? Discover more helpful resources by subscribing on this website. Also, don't forget to drop your comments and questions in the box down below!